[FFmpeg-user] FW: ffmpeg report option - syntax error

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 16:38:12 CEST 2014

Hi Lukácsy,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 14:04:29 +0000, Lukácsy Gergely wrote:

> So the '-report' option alone works great, but it seems it doesn't
> really handle the arguments passed, as it's described on the ffmpeg
> manual page.
[...]
> -report level="fatal":file="a.txt"

I had to read the manual twice (and check the source code) to
understand that those options you are using one work when applied to
the environment variable "FFREPORT".

Quote:
> Setting the environment variable "FFREPORT" to any value has the same
> effect. If the value is a ’:’-separated key=value sequence, these
> options will affect the report; options values must be escaped if
> they contain special characters or the options delimiter ’:’ (see the
> ‘‘Quoting and escaping’’ section in the ffmpeg-utils manual). The
> following option is recognized:

So this works for me (the Bourne shell way of setting an environment
variable for a single command):

FFREPORT="level=48:file=a.txt" ffmpeg -i ../Köln\ Comedy\ Kurzfilmfestival\ 2012\ -\ Remake.mp4 -f null -

Note that the "level" option is numerical, from what I could make out
from the source code. The internally used values are defined as
AV_LOG_* in libavutil/log.h.

Cheers,
Moritz