[FFmpeg-user] speeding up filter complex

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jun 28 22:26:20 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:38:41 +0200, Bouke (VideoToolShed) wrote:
> All works swell, but the rendering is slow, while the process is only taking
> up 15% CPU.

Which probably means 100% of one CPU, and little of the others. (The
programs top and htop have modes where they can display each single
CPU's usage.)

> Anything i can do to speed up the process?

Re-write the filters to improve their multi-threading support?

Honestly, as far as I understand, most filters don't support threading.
Your filter_complex is likely to run in a single thread on a single
CPU.

Moritz

P.S.: ffmpeg -filters, check the  ".S. = Slice threading" column.