[FFmpeg-user] -f segment does not seem to be working

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Mon Mar 31 23:37:53 CEST 2014

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:28:34 -0500
Michael Hipp <michael at redmule.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to segment an incoming mp3 audio stream:
>
> ffmpeg -i udp://239.8.8.8:5000 -acodec copy -f segment -segment_time 5 out%03d.mp3
>
> The audio records fine but it never segments. The one file (out000.mp3) just
> grows and grows.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I'm using ffpmeg as ships with ubuntu 12.04 (version
> 0.8.10-4:0.8.10-0ubuntu0.12.04.1).

As of 13.10 Ubuntu does not include ffmpeg from FFmpeg. The version you
are using is from a fork of FFmpeg. This mailing list only supports
stuff from FFmpeg.

You can try using a recent build of ffmpeg:
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#LinuxBuilds

Or of course you can always compile ffmpeg.

If you don't want to try either of those then you'll have to consult
the help resources of your distro or the fork.