[FFmpeg-user] http timeout not working?

Brandon Lees f4lconx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 01:23:06 CET 2014

I'm using ffmpeg to capture video from an ip camera using:

ffmpeg -y -f mjpeg -analyzeduration 0 -probesize 32
-use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1 -timeout 10 -i http://user@1.2.3.4/video.cgi
-vsync passthrough -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -t 30:00 output.mp4

Everything is working fine, except if the camera is disconnected. For
example if I unplug the camera, ffmpeg will just hang, it won't ever exit
as far as I can tell.

It seems like the timeout value should cause ffmpeg to stop if it hasn't
received any data on the socket in this time period, but it doesn't seem to
do anything. Am I setting it incorrectly?

Thanks for any help,

Brandon