[FFmpeg-user] Unable to produce a yuv444p video that vlc will play back correctly

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 16 22:51:48 CET 2014

Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+list <at> rabbit.us> writes:

> As a result of the MMX success, everything in the
> digital video world *17 years* later is inescapably
> doing this rgb->yuv->rgb dance, even in the case of
> 100% correct and complete metadata.

I don't think your colour issue has anything to do
with MMX.
All codecs (that have any relevance) only support
yuv420p in the variants supported by the "free"
(as in beer) multimedia players, so it makes sense
for FFmopeg to default to yuv420p if nothing else
was specified and it makes sense for video drivers
to only support yuv420p.
Note that even vlc has / had issues with h264 rgb.

Carl Eugen