[FFmpeg-user] Question about audio video synchronization in containers

deseb S.Sedlbauer at DigitalEndoscopy.de
Fri Oct 17 14:59:32 CEST 2014

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I have a question about containers and synchronization of the contained
video and audio streams and hope someone can provide me some basic
information.

How can I guarantee that the muxed/interleaved streams are synchronized in a
container so that there is no delay when played?
Video has timestamps like PTS and DTS. Do audio streams have that too?
Does a container have timestamps or does it work with timestamps provided by
the streams?
Is there a general way of synchronization for all containers (AVI, MPEG, MKV
...)?

Thank you for your time, help and any information or hint that could help me
to understand that matter.

Have a nice day
Seb