[FFmpeg-user] Mathematically lossless MotionJPEG2000 encoding possible?

Christoph Gerstbauer christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:36:00 CET 2014

Hello David,

using "ffplay -vcodec libopenjpeg -i ..." works.
So I have to force decoding with libopenjpeg to get an correct output.

Compression:
As I see: ffv1 compressed (if not using slices) a little bit better than jpeg2000.
But ffv1 is much more faster than jpeg2000.
Can you explain me why jpeg 2000 is so extremely slow and needs much more CPU load than ffv1?
Where is the difference here? Both are wavelet transformation codecs, not?

I am very disappointed that jpeg2000 is a "standard" and ffv1 is not :/
FFv1 would get much more acceptance in the "professional" video world if it would be.

The reason why i want to test jpeg2000:
We are always using ffv1 but we sometimes we get "contrary wind" from the professional video world against ffv1 (like: "jpeg2000 is THE lossless codec...."). So we want to show compression rate7speed comparisons for 10bit pixel formats and above, to open their eyes.

br
Christoph