[FFmpeg-user] Mathematically lossless MotionJPEG2000 encoding possible?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Oct 28 10:14:58 CET 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014 09:36:00 pm Christoph Gerstbauer wrote:

> We are always using ffv1 but we sometimes we get "contrary wind"
> from the professional video world against ffv1 (like: "jpeg2000 is
> THE lossless codec...."). So we want to show compression rate7speed
> comparisons for 10bit pixel formats and above, to open their eyes.

And you have shown convincingly that there is a better alternative
to one existing jpeg2000 implementation. It will be no problem to
write a faster one if you have the time (or the money), I am not sure
if compression will be better than with current libopenjpeg.

Note that the issues with jpeg2000 are of course nothing against the
issues that mxf has, iirc you already know that there are as many
interpretations of the standard as implementations, don't you?

And regarding the "professional" solutions: Please ask them to show
you how to get the original content back after encoding once;-)

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen