[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg/ffserver h264 webcam streaming

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Oct 28 12:02:17 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 20:52:13 +0000, Ricardo Mota wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a h264 streaming from my webcam to the web using the
> following configuration file for ffserver.

>    - ffserver.conf <http://pastebin.com/ig74S0Zq>

For reference, here is one relevant part:

<Stream test.mp4>              # Output stream URL definition
   Feed feed1.ffm              # Feed from which to receive video
   Format mp4

   # Audio settings
   NoAudio

   VideoCodec libx264
   VideoSize 1280x720
   VideoFrameRate 25
   AVOptionVideo flags +global_header
   AVOptionVideo cpu-used 0
   AVOptionVideo qmin 10
   AVOptionVideo qmax 42
   AVOptionVideo quality good
   AVOptionVideo me_range 16
   AVOptionVideo qdiff 4
   AVOptionAudio flags +global_header
   PreRoll 15
   StartSendOnKey
   VideoBitRate 1M
</Stream>

> *[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f9d680008c0] Format mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
> detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!*
> *[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f9d680008c0] moov atom not found*
> *http://localhost:8090/test.mp4 <http://localhost:8090/test.mp4>: Invalid
> data found when processing input*

It seems this is an FAQ. Most answers hint that mp4 is not a suitable
format, despite "flags +global_header".

If you replace the above config with flv:
<Stream test.flv>
   Feed feed1.ffm
   Format flv
[...]

and access the appropriate URL with ffplay
(http://localhost:8090/test.flv), it works fine (for me).

Moritz