[FFmpeg-user] Using FFmpeg with LGPL license

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Sep 1 23:50:30 CEST 2014

Victor Elizondo <velizondo <at> growthaccelerationpartners.com> writes:

> I am developing three pieces of software; an
> iOS App, an Android app and a Website. I need
> to user FFmpeg to encode and decode video and
> audio. Could you provide me a checklist to
> comply your LGPL license and successfully
> distribute my app in the Apple App Store and
> Google Play Store.

What's wrong with http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html ?

If you will not use dynamic linking, don't
forget to provide object files of your
(proprietary) software for download together
with the FFmpeg source you used: Make sure
a user with the appropriate toolchain is
able to change the FFmpeg source code that
you used, can compile FFmpeg and (re-) link
the whole application.

> One important thing to consider is that these
> pieces of software are not open source and
> are intended completely for commercial
> purposes; so source code availability is out
> of the table. Please I need your guidance.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings:
If you distribute (proprietary or non-
proprietary) software that includes FFmpeg
source code, you have to provide the exact
source code of FFmpeg that you used (NOT a
link to ffmpeg.org!) to give users the usual
freedom.

Carl Eugen