[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg bitrate flag

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:52:43 CEST 2014

If you specify a maximum (reasonable) bitrate and use two-pass encoding, the encoder will achieve what you want automatically. It will allocate as much bitrate as possible to high-motion or -detail sequences, and as little as possible to the opposite. Two-pass encoding may not be ideal during live streaming; in that case consider "average bitrate encoding".

Although I'm talking mostly from recent x264 experience, I know ffmpeg's MPEG encoder supports two-pass encoding, and I believe it also supports "average bitrate encoding". See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264.

If OGG supports constant rate factor as x264 does, you could also consider that for live streaming.