[FFmpeg-user] configure error with enabling libmodplug

Kimio Miyamura xanadu at apost.plala.or.jp
Thu Sep 11 13:58:31 CEST 2014

> 2014/09/11 4:07PM Clément Bœsch wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:23:35PM +0900, Kimio Miyamura wrote:

>>> Right, that's because libmodplug wasn't detected through pkg-config, which
>>> I just fixed in git/master. Can you git pull and retry that latest command
>>> with --pkg-config-flags=--static?
>>
>> A information for Windows (MinGW?) user.
>>
>> With above ffmpeg change, Windows (MinGW?) user encounters libmodplug not found error when configuring ffmpeg with libmodplug-0.8.8.5.
>> This is because of mod plug.h's 		MODPLUG_EXPORT macro.  The macro is defined as __declspec(dllimport) would be added, without defining MODPLUG_STATIC.
>
> Can you explain how this is different from before the pkg-config patch?

There are no difference in mod plug.h between pkg-config patch and before.
To build ffmpeg (Before pkg-config patch) with libmodplug support, Windows user modified ffmpeg configure script as my first message.  They added -lstdc++ to enabled libmodplug line as workaround.

-enabled libmodplug        && require libmodplug libmodplug/modplug.h ModPlug_Load -lmodplug
+enabled libmodplug        && require libmodplug libmodplug/modplug.h ModPlug_Load -lmodplug -lstdc++

>> Then, called as `_imp__ModPlug_Load' from ffmpeg configure, and then result in libmodplug not found error.  (I'm not Windows user.  I'm writing the error mechanism based on one of my friend's comment who using Windows)
>
>> The countermeasure is either of bellow 3.
>> 1.Define MODPLUG_STATIC in modplug.h.
>
> What is the consequence of this when it's not static?

Yes it's a workaround for ffmpeg static building.  If build ffmpeg as shared, this workaround is not needed.

>> 2.Add "-DMODPLUG_STATIC" to Cflags: -I${includedir} line in libmodplug.pc.
>
> Sounds like you have to add this to Cflags.private or something so it's
> raised with --static. You need to see this with mod plug itself

You are right, but this is a workaround for ffmpeg static building too.  It does not mean that libmodplug.pc should be changed in it's source code.

>> 3.Configure ffmpeg with adding "--extra-cflags=-DMODPLUG_STATIC" option.
>
> We indeed currently do #define MODPLUG_STATIC in the
> libavformat/libmodplug.c itself, so it should probably be in the configure
> test as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this actually affects the
> linking when only a shared version of the library is available. Also, I
> don't understand how this previously worked, because the configure test
> never had it.

In fact, the error in Windows is not related with ffmpeg.  It is derived from macro in modplug.h.  Here   , I pickup central of this issue:

01 #if defined(_WIN32) || defined(__CYGWIN__)
02 # if defined(MODPLUG_BUILD) && defined(DLL_EXPORT)	/* building libmodplug as a dll for windows */
03 #   define MODPLUG_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)
04 # elif defined(MODPLUG_BUILD) || defined(MODPLUG_STATIC)	/* building or using static libmodplug for windows */
05 #   define MODPLUG_EXPORT
06 # else
07 #   define MODPLUG_EXPORT __declspec(dllimport)			/* using libmodplug dll for windows */
08 # endif
09 /* FIXME: USE VISIBILITY ATTRIBUTES HERE */
10 #elif defined(MODPLUG_BUILD)
11 #define MODPLUG_EXPORT
12 #else
13 #define MODPLUG_EXPORT
14 #endif

You may see that without MODPLUG_STATIC definition, "_imp__" prefix is added to function name.  All 3 countermeasure are workaround to avoid "_imp__" prefix addition.

// Miya