[FFmpeg-user] WMV to H264 resulting in size change

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Apr 9 23:13:11 CEST 2015

Benjamin Black <benblack86 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I’m trying to convert a WMV video with original
> dimensions 720x480 to H264, but the output changes
> to 640x480.

(It does not.)

> And ffprobe claims that the output video is 720x480,
> but all the video players I’ve tried report that it
> is 640x480.

(Which players? The output video is 720x480 and is
meant to be shown with a display aspect ratio of
4:3. So the actual window is not 720x480.)

> I’ve tried version 2.6.1 and the latest.
> Am I missing something obvious or is this a bug?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no bug
in the output file you provided.

There is a "bug" if you change the pixel aspect
ratio because either the output file will be
played with an incorrect aspect ratio or you
inserted a scale filter that has a quality
impact.

Or do I completely misunderstand and the
original video is not meant to be shown as
4:3? I don't think this is the case, or is it?

Carl Eugen