[FFmpeg-user] Has -t format changed?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 12 12:53:57 CEST 2015

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 00:28:07 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > > Move -t behind -i, since -t always was an output
> > > option, this mostly worked by chance.
> >
> > Reading some old mails, this is apparently wrong,
> > -t may have been an input option in the past.
>
> Actually, according to the documentation, it is
> supposed to be an input output. It doesn't sound
> like chance at all:

My point was that I first claimed -t was only an
output option. It was an output-only option until
2014. As such, specifying "-t x -i file" only
worked "by chance" (actually because if only one
output file was specified FFmpeg interpreted the
-t as if it was specified as output option for
the first output file). A warning was shown at
least for some time.
I then realized that -t used to be an input
option until around 2011 (iirc).

Carl Eugen