[FFmpeg-user] one encode, two outputs with different duration

Bouke (VideoToolShed) bouke at videotoolshed.com
Sun Apr 12 17:04:51 CEST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
To: <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] one encode, two outputs with different duration

> Bouke (VideoToolShed <bouke <at> videotoolshed.com> writes:
>
>> ffmpeg.exe -threads 0 -i M:\Honig\02-02c.mxf
>> -filter_complex "scale=480x360" -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 4
>> -map_channel 0.1.0 -map_channel 0.2.0 -acodec pcm_s16le
>> -aspect 16:9 -timecode 01:00:00:00  -f avi -
>
> The avi file you are writing is readable from the first
> second on, why do you want to write a second file at
> the same time?

Carl,

DOH, you're right! The AVI is readable, BUT, sadly not by QuickTime, and
that is what i use as a player.
I need a player that i can control externally, and my work heavilly relies
on frame accurate searching / JKL style control, and accurate feedback on
the current movie time.
Sadly, I have not (yet) found another player that gives me this. (And that's
really sad, as the performance of QT is highly behind...

>> |  ffmpeg.exe -i - -c copy -t 20
>> M:\Honig\02-02c_short.mov
>
> ... particularly if this file is not readable because
> you chose mov.

But at least you've given me enough to have a workaround.
Encode, after the first duration has passed  start a second instance with
running encode as input, do a  -i *.avi -t dur  -c copy  *.mov and all is
fine.

Thanks!

Bouke