[FFmpeg-user] Building FFMPEG and enabling x265

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:12:15 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
> Le sextidi 26 germinal, an CCXXIII, Werner Robitza a écrit :
>> If you mean $HOME/ffmpeg_sources/x265/build/linux, then the .pc file
>> is actually there.
>
> Alone with just .pc files? If not, that is not correct.

What's not correct? Is that an upstream bug? There are other files in
there, but as shown from the "find" output, there are no other x265.pc
files present anywhere.

>> I guess that a "sudo make install" after the "make" in x265 works, but
>> that installs it to /usr/local instead of the home directory, which is
>> what all the other tools in the compilation guide do.
>
> The "compilation guide" does not tell anything about x265. You failed at
> adapting the instructions to specify the installation directory.
>
> You should consider this a GUIDE, i.e. something that helps you learn a new
> skill, not a ready-to-use just-copy-paste help.

Of course I know that it does not include x265. Hence my comment: "for
ffmpeg users we should
probably update our compilation guide."

Please realize that the guide, as posted, is INDEED a copy-paste
solution -- rather a tutorial -- that works fine on the distributions
it is targeted at. It may not be intended as such, but users certainly
read it that way.