[FFmpeg-user] Parse environment variables in command line

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Apr 20 15:31:31 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:23:15 +0500, Илья Мельников wrote:
> User can't read environment variables of other user processes.
>
> This is enough for me.
> ffmpeg process which record IP-cam stream runs as user 'backup'.
> Interactive users can not see its environment.

Still that would require ffmpeg to parse '$' as the intro to the name
of an environment variable. That is quite unusual, and furthermore,
ffmpeg would need to know that '$' is not part of the password, for
example.

What would be more common would be either support for something like
.netrc, support for pointing to a file containing a user:password
string, or support for an input file containing the actual input
URL/input file string, such as:
  -i @filename
which some programs use. (I think mplayer supports that for its mf://
demuxer.)

It's at least worth a trac ticket for an RFE. :-)

Moritz