[FFmpeg-user] HLS one liner from /dev/videoX

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:21:07 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> On 30 April 2015 at 15:38, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Yes. You have too many links to external stuff (tarballs, logs [why not
>> attached here?], various scenarios, various requests, and it's unclear
>> what the problem is.
>
> Whoa, I try to be as detailed as possible and then I get criticized
> for including too much stuff?! :) Email attachments suck, that's why I
> didn't include the tarball.

What is missing (and the only thing that is really required) is the
full command line that you used to invoke ffmpeg, and the console
output that invocation of ffmpeg produced, presented as inline in the
email. No attachments, no externally linked files that might go away

>> You may have overseen one important message in your logs:
>>> No pixel format specified, yuv422p for H.264 encoding chosen.
>>> Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.
>
> I doubt IOS safari is an outdated player.

You know you don't have to doubt, there is this thing called google
that can answer questions like "Does IOS support h264 in 4:2:2
chrome".
I'll let you know - it does not. Almost no hardware accelerated
playback supports 4:2:2 chroma, certainly no iphone supports anything
other than 4:2:0. See this (extensive) stackoverflow answer:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26626689/ffmpeg-generated-videos-crashes-on-ios

4:2:2 chroma is used mainly in high end video capture devices and formats.

Cheers

Tom