[FFmpeg-user] Using expressions in "FADE" filter

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Apr 30 19:18:00 CEST 2015

[Your responses are backwards. That makes reading ... awkward.]

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:33:34 -0400, Shlomo Morosow wrote:

> > https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-utils.html#Expression-Evaluation

Where does it say that epressions are expressed as such?
  "%{expr\\\: (10-1)}"

> > I regularly use this in many filters and it works just as expected, it's
> > just that I ran into an issue with the fade filter.

_Please_ show me a working example with your syntax! You don't have to
provide a file, you can do
$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc -t 10 [...] -vf "your filter with expression here" -f null -

As I think I mentioned: Only filters' arguments designed to use
expressions will actually use them. And I still don't see the point of
expressing "frames (or seconds) from the end", how do you plan to tell
the expression what the end of the video is?

Please help!

Moritz