[FFmpeg-user] Can heavy load on a machine affect FFmpeg output quality?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Apr 30 21:04:52 CEST 2015

Hi, Alfredo,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:52:58 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli wrote:
> Is it possible that a machine under heavy load might affect the goodness of
> FFmpeg transcoding output?

Technically: no.

> In other terms, is a video transcoding a function of the load of a machine
> at a give time?

Speed of transcoding is, so if you rely on real time transcoding, it
will affect your result, because it possibly can't be delivered in real
time.

If the OS is stable, and you don't care for performance impact,
everything should be fine.

The only affects I can think of are either memory corruption on the
machine, or (at least speaking for Unix) ffmpeg being killed by the
operating system (kernel, OOM handler) if memory runs low. But those
can be general issues of heavily loaded servers, not restricted to
ffmpeg.

Moritz