[FFmpeg-user] Save webcam stream in mpg, not avi format

Felix Baier felixbaier at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 5 17:24:36 CEST 2015

>> Thus, is it possible to save in avi format, but use
>> a different codec that will generate smaller files?
>
> Yes, try "-vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 2" or
> "-vcodec mpeg1video -mbd 2 -qscale 2" or use h264.
>
> Carl Eugen

ā€œ-vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 2ā€ reduces the file size by a factor of 50 and can be opened in my downstream analysis Ethovision. It will take a week or so to run some real experiments and see if the video quality is good enough, but it looks great and Iā€™m optimistic that this solved the problem. Thanks for your suggestions! They really made a difference.

Leo