[FFmpeg-user] How to install Ffmpeg on Mint 17.1 - 32 bits

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Aug 19 07:46:27 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015, at 06:52 PM, Gianni Sacco wrote:
> Hi.I've a problem to install on right form ffmpeg on Mint 17.1 - 32 bits.
> I've already installed it from ppa and from tar.gz but when I try to
> convert any file from terminal or using programs such as
> Ffmulticonverter,Tragtor o many else always i've an error.

You should show the actual ffmpeg command and the complete console
output.

If the problems are due to the other programs then you'll have to
consult their help resources.

> Please...write a simple guide on PDF that explain in simple mode and step
> by step what an user has to do to for install and configure ffmpeg in
> GOOD
> mode...because it's a nightmare :D to install it on Linux.

You have 4 main choices:

1. Compile

You must have missed the compile guide. However, I don't think it will
suit you because compiling isn't for everyone (even if it is just copy
and paste):

<http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu>

2. PPA

Here is a good PPA for Ubuntu 14.04 users which your Mint version is
based on:

<https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/trusty-media>

3. Static build

Download from <http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/> then extract. Now you
have a directory with the ffmpeg binary. You can execute by providing
the full path to the binary, or move it somewhere in your PATH if you
desire. Possibly the easiest method.

4. Distro

Perhaps it would be best for you to use a distro release that actually
provides ffmpeg in their repository.