[FFmpeg-user] artefact when upload to youtube

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Mon Dec 7 14:58:34 CET 2015

philippe.torgue at laposte.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used ffmpeg to make a movie from a sequence of png
> But, even with x264 lossless ffmpeg, i get a video on youtube with noticable artefact (the ugly square of cos discrete)
>
> (the .mp4 is clean before uploading : no artefact at all with quicktime or vlc)
>
> I guess it's not a ffmpeg problem but may be someone will lead me to the solution.

This occurs many times because of ffmpeg encoding options, which produces an output
video that YouTube's transcoder butchers.

Try uploading the following to a Website directory or Dropbox or Google Drive + post
the link. Likely someone will give you direction about how to fix this.

1) The original footage or a few minute slice of several minute using copy for both
    audio + video code. Full (unaltered/raw) original footage straight off the camera is best.

2) The exact ffmpeg command you use to transcode your footage from the original
    to whatever you're uploading to YouTube.

3) Copy of footage being uploaded to YouTube.

Be sure to get/build latest ffmpeg from git, for best results.