[FFmpeg-user] Cross fading of videos

Tony Mobily merc at mobily1.com
Fri Dec 11 06:45:27 CET 2015

Hi,

I am new to ffmpeg. I am reading through the documentation -- although
there is a lot to take in!
I was wondering if you could give me a couple of hints on how to get
started.

1) Cross-dissolve

I have two videos, 1.mp4 and 2.mp4, 10 seconds each. I want to concatenate
those videos, so that the first one has a cross-dissolve with the second
one when they are joined. If the effect goes on for 1 second, this
necessarily means that the resulting video will necessarily be 19 seconds
(since the last second of 1.mp4 will "blend" with the first second of 2.mp4.
Is this something that can be done with ffmpeg?

2) Slicing

I have a 60 second video, and want to get a slice from the second 10.45 to
the second 23.54. Is that possible?

2) Overlay
I have two videos, 1.mp4 (30 seconds) and 2.mp4 (8.5 seconds). I want to
create a result video where 2.mp4 overwrites the last 8.5 seconds of 1.mp4.
Is this possible without doing cut/concatenation?

Thank you in advance -- and I apologise if I asked silly questions!

Merc.
ᐧ