[FFmpeg-user] apple-friendly timestamps with -c copy

Claudiu Rad jazzman at misalpina.net
Mon Dec 21 14:19:41 CET 2015

On 12/20/2015 2:55 AM, Laine Lee wrote:
> On 12/18/15, 12:41 PM, "ffmpeg-user on behalf of Claudiu Rad" <ffmpeg-user-bounces at ffmpeg.org on behalf of jazzman at misalpina.net> wrote:
>
>> anyone? i really need to find a solution without re-encoding the whole
>
> I worked around this issue by using Remux 1.3.1 in OS X, available from MacUpdate. When I saw a similar issue in Mencoder output, I discovered that "-lavfopts format=mp4” appeared to solve it, but even with an ffmpeg equivalent, it would mean re-encoding, of course.

so just remuxing without reencoding? this would confirm that the issue
is fixable by only fiddling around with the timestamps as i suspected.
ffmpeg by default also automatically fixes this if i just reencode,
probably because it knows to properly decode the input and then
regenerates timestamps.
it's a pity though that timestamps / frame order in ffmpeg cannot be
easily controlled without reencoding. after all, this is not actual
media content, just metadata (although mandatory for playback).
maybe a bitstream filter would to the trick?

thanks for the info. i'll try playing a bit with the tools you mentioned.

--
Claudiu