[FFmpeg-user] Pullup old MPEG-2

llee782 llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 23 01:32:54 CET 2015

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote
> llee782
> <llee040 <at>
>  sbcglobal.net> writes:
> Every deinterlacer will permanently damage the images in
> these cases.

It appears that the simplest way I've found to adequately handle this
conversion then is to use something like:

ffmpeg -i 2024_telecine_source.mpg -c:v libx264 -c:a copy -r 24000/1001
2024_telecine_source_film.m4v

Does that work mainly because it removes the soft telecine flag, as Rens
suggested?

Here's another question that has arisen through serendipity. When I first
tested the above, I simply failed to notice that the -r option existed
twice, and the command I ran was actually:

ffmpeg -r 24 -i 2024_telecine_source.mpg -c:v libx264 -c:a  copy -r
24000/1001 2024_telecine_source_film.m4v

I discovered that running it with just one "-r" value specified (either "-r
24", or "-r 24000/1001") resulted in many repeated instances of "Past
duration 0.xxxxxx too large" in the shell output. The video output appears
the same. Why would specifying 2 "-r" values prevent the appearance of "Past
duration 0.xxxxxx too large" with no apparent adverse affect to the
conversion?

Thanks.

Laine