[FFmpeg-user] Ingest of SMPTE-377M

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Dec 28 19:34:48 CET 2015

Mark Nelson <markn <at> ieee.org> writes:

> Same file wrappred in SMPTE-377M headers and packaged
> in a WAV file as if it were 1536 kbps PCM:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tec7al5bcmihwey/sample.eac3.337.wav

Is this really valid?
My receiver cannot play this, the following plays as
expected here (showing that eac3-over-spdif works
fine on my equipment):
$ ffmpeg -i input -acodec eac3 -f spdif out
$ ffmpeg -f s16le -ac 2 -ar 192k -i out -acodec copy out.wav
$ mplayer out.wav -ao alsa:device=hw=1.7

I can make your file play but I wonder if I should...
(And yes, I do remember that this isn't your issue
but I would still like to understand the issue first.)

Carl Eugen