[FFmpeg-user] How can I determine if a 10bit videofile has full 10bit video data or 8bit (+ 2bits zeros) data

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jan 16 16:03:13 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:10:38 +0100, Christoph Gerstbauer wrote:
> I am searching for a possibility to check if a 10bit 4:2:2 videofile
> (v210 codec or ffvhuff codec) has
> a) 8bit+2empty bits or
> b) full 10bit data
> in the video stream.

You'll probably need to export it to raw YUV or RGB (depending on the
input color space) and inspect the least significant bits. This might
be easier with a small libav* program than ffmpeg. My first shot would
be trying to understand the raw output formats, and to parse them with
a pipe to a perl one-liner using unpack(). ;-)

Moritz