[FFmpeg-user] Problem specifying libx265 profile with ffmpeg

Simon Thelen ffmpeg-user at c-14.de
Fri Jan 23 19:52:39 CET 2015

On 15-01-23 at 10:05, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> I seem to be unable to set a specific profile with either of the
> commands as shown below:
>
> rabbit at Ahasver:~$ ffmpeg -hide_banner -y -filter_complex 'color=red'
> -t
> 1 -c:v libx265 -strict experimental -profile:v main444-10 -f mp4
> /dev/null
> [libx265 @ 0x161e240] [Eval @ 0x7fff58510210] Undefined constant or
> missing '(' in 'main444-10'
> [libx265 @ 0x161e240] Unable to parse option value "main444-10"
> [libx265 @ 0x161e240] Error setting option profile to value
> main444-10.
[..]
> Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect
> parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
>
> rabbit at Ahasver:~$ ffmpeg -hide_banner -y -filter_complex 'color=red'
> -t
> 1 -c:v libx265 -strict experimental -x265-params profile=main444-10 -f
> mp4 /dev/null
> [libx265 @ 0x1ff9480] Unknown option: profile.
[..]

> What am I doing wrong?
It seems the --profile option for x265 is CLI ONLY as stated in
https://x265.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cli.html#profile-level-tier

It does state something about how "API users must use
x265_param_apply_profile() after configuring their param structure", so
it would require knowledge of which profile requires which settings and
then setting them all manually to ensure compliance.

--
Simon Thelen