[FFmpeg-user] Convert files on the fly...does it work?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jul 6 12:00:21 CEST 2015

that is a terrible bad idea and unlikely works
what should ffmpeg do with the output in the meantime?
hold it in memory since it can't write to the sourcefile

 >> I do not want to create a new file and then delete the
 >> old file and then rename the new file to the old file name

nosense, you don't need 3 steps

* ouput to temp-file
* atomic mv to the source name

that's also safe in case the conversion get interrupted and makes sure
you damage the source file and is typicall a 1-liner "ffmpeg params &&
mv tmp sourcename"