[FFmpeg-user] Problem capturing from 64ch SoundFlower on OSX

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 17:47:26 CEST 2015

On 9 Jul 2015, at 18:48, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> On Thursday 09 July 2015 06:48:42 pm Piers O'Hanlon wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been trying to capture multiple audio channels using ffmpeg on OSX -
>> specifically I've been trying to capture from the Soundflower 64 channel
>> input device
>
> Just being curious: Is this hardware or software?

It's a software virtual audio driver which takes the form of an open source kernel module in OSX:
https://github.com/RogueAmoeba/Soundflower

>> configuration: --cc=clang
>
> Unrelated: This should make no difference, I suggest to remove it.

This is currently necessary to get the avfoundation support to build on OSX10.7. I'm not sure if the configure script is broken or just OSX default gcc on my system... I think it is because the avfoundation configure check assumes gcc can compile c++.

>> [avfoundation @ 0x7f8dfb83d800] Failed to open codec in av_find_stream_info
>
> This is the relevant error, please test attached patch.

I applied your patch and it all works on 64 channels - that's great. I see that it was just question of increasing some #defines which is handy. Can this patch go into the main code?

> Note that -map_channel is deprecated, please use the pan filter.

Ok - thanks I've got it working with pan too - seems to work about the same.

BTW I"m running the clients on embedded ARMv6 (Raspberry Pi) - any tips for reducing the load on the receiver?

Many thanks,

Piers