[FFmpeg-user] Converting a cassette audio tape (Lecture) to mp3

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jul 12 20:07:08 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 11:44:48 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> I am loath to updating because I really do not feel the need to.
> So far, I have 3rd party apps that I built (with some necessary mods)
> on f20. I do not wish to go through all the rigmarole again on f22 or
> the impending f23.

Security, my friend! It you don't like the Fedora life-cycle, use
something LTS like CentOS.

> On the laptop, I have the stereo audio in and audio out.
> I also have the necessary cable.

I used the pulseaudio volume control GUI to select line as input. Then
I did
$ pacmd list-sources
to find the number of the device with the description "Built-in Audio
Analog Stereo", which is '2' in my case. Then I put '2' as input here:
$ ffmpeg -f pulse -i 2 -c:a libmp3lame recorded.mp3
This records forever until you press 'q'. It uses some default settings
which may or may not be okay for you.

You should probably google for "capturing audio linux" to figure out
about alsa and pulseaudio if this doesn't work for you. ffmpeg supports
both if compiled to do so.

Moritz