[FFmpeg-user] Building ffmpeg with libvpx (custom installation prefix)

Jonathan Bouchard jbouchard at mokkostudio.com
Tue Jun 2 20:25:53 CEST 2015

Hi!

How should we build ffmpeg with libvpx support when libvpx is not installed
in system path?

Here is what I tried on Linux CentOS 6 and Ubuntu 12.04:

   1. I built libvpx v1.4.0 from git, using "./configure
   --prefix=/path/to/libvpx && make install -j16"
   2. I added PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/libvpx/lib/pkgconfig to my env
   3. I built ffmpeg v2.6.2 from git, using "./configure --enable-libvpx"
   4. The configuration fails with "ERROR: libvpx decoder version must be
   >=0.9.1"*

* The config.log file (for CentOS6) is attached.

It seems that ffmpeg configure script tries to determine libvpx version by
compiling a small C program. However, the gcc invocation doesn't include
the cflag "-I/path/to/libvpx/include". Which results in an error:
"/usr/tmp/ffconf.F6UtZ8Vr.c:1:29: error: vpx/vpx_decoder.h: No such file or
directory" (line 9482 of the log).

Note: I invoked "pkg-config --cflags vpx" on my machine and it properly
returns "-I/path/to/libvpx/include"

Thank you,
--
Jonathan