[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg extremely high consumption

Frans Gouverne fransgnl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:19:17 CEST 2015

You need to specify option -re before the input file to read input as
native frame rate. Otherwise ffmpeg will try to convert as fast as possible
(neglecting the input frame rate), using as much as CPU power as it can
get. As a result, you cannot view the output stream as well. So please use
something like:

ffmpeg -re -i video.mp4 [...]

I have a test system with much less CPU resources as your system but my CPU
power is not exceeding around 60%. But when I do not use option -re it goes
up to 175%!