[FFmpeg-user] Manually specifying output codec timebase (to match existing output)

Rob Hallam robert at roberthallam.com
Fri Jun 26 01:41:15 CEST 2015

On 25 June 2015 at 22:16, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> > | time_base rational number
> > | Set codec time base.
>
> This is an option for FFmpeg-internal encoders
> that you try to use for an external encoder
> (x264).

Ah! My mistake; thank you for clearing this confusion up.

>> [encoding small snippets to match and join video]
>
> I don't think this is possible.

Most lamentable- re encoding is a comparatively long process for such
short change. I felt like I was very close, but I will defer to your
expertise here.

Just so I'm clear- are you saying there's no real way to match this
set of codec for arbitrary video input? That is, instead of
re-encoding transitions could I generate [something] using the lavfi
filter and match parameters with that ?

The software (OBS) producing the video to be chopped up is somewhat
inflexible, but uses x264 so there might be some small leeway there.
Before I go ask the writers of that and the videolan guys the same
question, are there any things I might try?

It sounds as though I may be after a lost cause, but I figured I would
ask a few questions before I give up on it entirely!

Many thanks for your assistance so far,
Rob