[FFmpeg-user] Silence Removal

sk8f teju_kurnool at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 22:43:22 CEST 2015

I have an audio file which has the following specifications.
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bitrate: 253 kbps

It has both leading and trailing silence.
I want to remove the silences AND keep the quality intact.

So far I've tried
ffmpeg -i 1.m4a -af silenceremove=1:0.5:0:1:0.5:0 2.m4a
This is supposed to remove both the leading and trailing silences.
But for some reason it doesn't remove the trailing silence.
There is a similar thread on this mailing list that has the same problem.
Also, it reduces the bitrate to 128kbps. This I could fix by adding the -ab
253k and making the command:
ffmpeg -i 1.m4a -af silenceremove=1:0.5:0:1:0.5:0 *-ab 253k* 3.m4a
Now the problem is that the trailing silence isn't removed and when I want
to process a batch of files I can't use the same bitrate (like 253kbps ) for
every file.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.