[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg auto trailer creation script

ivosuvee at gmail.com ivosuvee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:10:29 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have a server with the following specs:
Processor: 	E3-1240v3 (3.4Ghz Quad Core + HT)
Memory Type: 	4GB DDR3-1333 ECC UNBUFFERED
Memory Amount: 	2
Hard Drive Slot 1: 	1TB SATA II Enterprise Grade (3.5")
Hard Drive Slot 2: 	2TB SATA II Enterprise Grade (3.5")
Hard Drive Slot 3: 	2TB SATA II Enterprise Grade (3.5")
Windows Server 2008 Standard, but of course you can switch it to Linux.
It's on contract and currently sitting idle doing nothing.

I'd like to user this server to do some "automatic hands-free" video editing.
I regularly get 1000s of SD video files that I would like to encode in batch.
My videos are anywhere between 15 to 45 min and depending on the input length, I'd like to have short clips made from them, like trailers. But hands-free. Meaning, I would just tell the script:
- where the input folder is
- where my watermark image is
- where the output folder is

For example:
Any video over 30 min. should be made into a 13 min. trailer clip with watermark.

It'll probably be easier to have each bit taken from a set point in the main video? For example take each bit from the next 20% of the total video length?
So if we want this 13 min. trailer to consist of 5 different parts of the main video, this means 13 min divided by 5.
Which is about 2 min and 36 seconds long.
So the script would do something like this: 1) take 2 min and 26 seconds from the beginning of the video (skipping the first minute)
2) take 02:26 starting from 20% into the video
3) take 02:26 starting from 40% into the video
4) take 02:26 starting from 60% into the video
5) take 02:26 starting from 80% into the video
and join all these clips together into 1 trailer clip with a watermark.
ffmpeg can perform fade out and fade in. I would like to use these fades as a transition. Just a quick fade so that joining the sub-clips doesn't seem too disrupting.

For example, we can perform a fade in and fade out of about 0.3 seconds at the end and/of beginning of each clip when cutting them.
Then the end clip will have this fade/transition when joining.

Videos of 25-30 min in length should be made into a 12 min clip (or bigger but no bigger than 13 min)
Videos of 20-25 min in length should be made into an 8 min clip (or bigger but no bigger than 10 min)
Videos of 15-20 min in length should be made into a 7 min clip (or bigger but no bigger than 9 min)

Let me know if something like this can be set up?
What the cost would be to have it developed. And how long it would take?

You can contact me on Skype: screwivo
But I'm more of an email person.

Thank you :)
Ivo