[FFmpeg-user] AVFrame structure

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri May 22 10:31:18 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 15:37:43 +0800, Sense wrote:
> In AVFrame structure, there are two fields that I found confusing: key_frame and pict_type.

This is the mailing list for the ffmpeg user interface, not for the
libraries. You should be able to get better help on libav-user here:

> My guess is that key_frame=1 indicates that this is an IDR frame(1
> for yes, 0 for no), and pict_type=I means this frame is just an I
> frame(may be or may not be an IDR frame). Is my guess correct?

Guess work from me:

pict_type, for one, should carry more information, using an
AVPictureType enum:

int 	key_frame
 	1 -> keyframe, 0-> not
enum AVPictureType 	pict_type
 	Picture type of the frame.

According to some interesting commented code, key_frame is always set
by libavcodec. I have no idea whether that's correct:
http://wiki.aasimon.org/doku.php?id=ffmpeg:avframe

Moritz