[FFmpeg-user] maintaining full swing when encoding in 10 bit (want to preserve all values from 0-1023)

Marwan Daar marwan.daar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 18:59:38 CET 2015

On 11/11/2015 11:52 AM, Andy Furniss wrote:

>  Just because you are using 10bit the result of playing
> will still be 8 bit as that's what most computer screens are.
>
> This doesn't mean that 10 bit yuv is pointless as X bit rgb -> 8 bit yuv
> and back looses loads of colours, so 10 bit yuv is better even if your
> source is only 8 bit rgb.

Agreed. For my purposes, I'm investigating whether the GPU is dithering,
and if so, how exactly it's achieving this. Part of the process involves
taking luminance measurements of different test patterns. Being able to
encode these patterns into a movie file, so I can step through frame by
frame, is critical for reducing the amount of noise in my measurements.

>> p.s. I haven't been able to figure out what "le" vs "be" refers to
>> (e.g. yuv44410le). Do you know what it means?
>
> little endian and big endian.

ah, thank you!