[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg - use for mpeg-ts streaming

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:19:30 CEST 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Ran Shalit <ranshalit <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I thought to use ffmpeg library to muxing given
>> encoded buffer, and stream into mpeg-ts using udp
>> (doing it in code , not shell).
>
> Fortunately, you can use the ffmpeg executable first
> to test if what you want to do works or not before
> implementing it in your application.
>
>> I would like to ask if using ffmpeg for streaming
>> this way is recommended or better using another
>> library for streaming such as live555.
>
> I wasn't aware that live555 supports mpeg-ts over udp.
> Does it?

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, live555 support it according to Q&A (though the recommendation is
to use rtp instead).
I intend to use mpeg-ts over udp, (with given encoded buffers from HW encoder).
Do you think that it is better to do it with ffmpeg for the streaming
purpose, or better do it with live555 library instead ?
It seems that ffmpeg API is simpler for this but I am not sure if this
should work.

Another thing - Is the latency for the streaming will be minimal with ffmpeg ?

Thank you!
Ran