[FFmpeg-user] Screencast live, is possible?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Oct 14 21:17:32 CEST 2015

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 19:58:32 +0200, Paolo Bolzoni wrote:
> I'd like to share a window content (and relative sound) with a far away friend.
> On the Internet it is plenty of tutorials for offline screencasting,
> that's is recording and secondly encoding. But I found no material
> about this variant.
> Is it possible?

This is the first Google hit for "ffmpeg streaming", and it even has
a screencast example right at the top:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide

That example is for Windows, others with x11grab (Unix) are further
below it. You can basically use the screen-capturing capability (input)
independantly of the streaming capability (output). Do read the whole
page, there are several possibilities to provide the content.

Moritz