[FFmpeg-user] Extracting starting timecode info using ffmpeg/ffprobe

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:03:27 CEST 2015

What is the exact command-line that works better for you now, along with some sample output?

The reason I ask is that after trying much I gave up on ffprobe for this purpose and started using exiftool instead. Instead of storing the original starting timecode in the file, I wrote a script that renames video files to "CCYYMMDDHHMMSSFF.ext ", using the earliest timecode reported by exiftool. Apart from being useful for ordering files, subsequent processes can then also use the filename to seed timecode counting e.g. for display purposes during editing, much as you seem to intend.

I'm unsure whether exiftool is available on platforms other than Windows.