[FFmpeg-user] Extract images from concatenate .VOB

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sat Sep 12 11:45:08 CEST 2015

Le quintidi 25 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Etienne Desautels a écrit :
> I'm trying to extract images (frames) from some DVD. For this I think I
> need to concatenate multiple .VOB (like VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB) to be
> able to extract images that are in the second, third, etc. VOB.

This is a common misconception. DVD structure is more complex than just a
video stream split into several files. The VOB components are divided into
cells, with possibly cells out of order or menus intermixed and very
probably timestamp resets. All this is held together by the extra files,
especially the IFO files.

FFmpeg can not read the IFO files itself, but it contains a script in the
tools directory that can generate a merging script: see tools/dvd2concat.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George