[FFmpeg-user] VDR recording - dvd subtitle track not decoded

Richard F lists at keynet-technology.com
Sun Sep 13 21:59:30 CEST 2015

On 13/09/2015 20:41, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> However ProjectX can extract and show the subtitles
> Sorry, I haven't used ProjectX for a very long time:
> How does it "show" the subtitles?
It only "shows" them by extracting the stream to the files that I put on
Google drive.

It is possible to re-mux the extracted subs into the stream, but the
timing is off, plus each sub is a single colour, whereas in the original
stream they sometimes have 2 colours to denote different speakers -
that's lost.

So while ProjectX could perhaps be used, its got issues.
Somehow I think ffmpeg would do a better job itself
> Which application shows the subtitles?
> Both vlc and MPlayer fail here.
Yes, they both fail in my testing too
vdr 1.x and the MVP set top box running VOMP show them correctly
overlaid on video
You can see them all in the program "subtitle edit" when extracted by
projectX - with above caveats. I put up a screen shot of that.

I'm thinking some of the issue might be around the lack of timing, the
projectX log I put up shows subs starting at 00:48:48.562, and it has to
manipulate them (getting it a bit wrong as it happens).

Thanks
Richard