[FFmpeg-user] Extract images from concatenate .VOB

Etienne Desautels etienne.desautels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 23:44:18 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-14, at 12:01, Nicolas George wrote:

> L'octidi 28 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Etienne Desautels a écrit :
>> In another vein, I found that it's a bit sad that the information about DVD
>> structure but mostly about dvd2concat.pl is almost inexistent. For something
>> that's common use with FFMpeg, ie working with DVD. I think it's why there's
>> misconception.
>
> I believe everybody agree that it would be nice if DVD reading were better
> integrated in FFmpeg, but it requires work. We can not really advertise
> dvd2concat as long as it relies on an external tool that is not so common,
> and even worse, that requires a non-standard patch.

I totally understand. But you should notice that the last version of lsdvd (0.17) incorporated both patches now. So, at least, it's a bit less worse.

> If you know the syntax for IFO files, or can learn it, or know someone who
> knows, or know the libdvdread API, etc., do not hesitate to propose a patch
> that puts it directly in dvd2concat to make it autonomous.
>
> If you are really courageous, you can endeavour to dig the patches for
> complete DVD support and bring them up to date and up to standards. This
> would be outstanding! But it is a lot of work, because the structure of a
> DVD does not fit well with the architecture of FFmpeg.

I agree with you, this would be outstanding! Unfortunately, you give me/us a path that works and that is a lot less work to put in place that bringing real DVD support to FFmpeg. So now I do not have a strong incentive to patch FFmpeg! But I do not say no in the future. It will depends of my client needs (museum video archival) and how the dvd2concat/lsdvd solution will work in production.

Regards,
Etienne Desautels