[FFmpeg-user] VDR recording - dvd subtitle track not decoded

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Sep 15 10:06:25 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 22:45:54 +0200, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:

> VDR file format isn’t compliant to any ‘real’ standard, so I don’t
> think you’ll find a solution here. Just my 2 cents.

I think this is the core of the problem. VDR "documentation" (some
forums and wikis were all I could find) says that this old format is
"MPEG PES", ffmpeg identifies it as "mpeg" (i.e. MPEG program stream)
with low score. I wonder if there is a specification/description of
this format, or whether one has to look at the old VDR sources to
understand it.

You could then hack a workaround in ffmpeg (or some other demuxer) to
get better access to the subs, but I doubt it would go upstream. ;-)

Have you looked at VDR-specific tools such as vdrconvert and vdrsync?
(I found something else yesterday which explicitly claims to support
the old PES files, but can't recall what that was.)

Moritz