[FFmpeg-user] max bitrate for vob

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:50:54 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Steve Boyer <steveboyer85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Rick C. <rickcorteza at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> What is the max bitrate for vob since I had this error?  Thanks in advanceā€¦
>>
>> Since you are talking VOBs, I'm assuming you are doing DVD video.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Data_rate states: "...a maximum of
> 9.80 Mbit/s can be used for video alone..."

I would recommend not declaring a bitrate at all if using -target
ntsc-dvd. You are using a preset for NTSC DVDs which is already
declaring various average/min/max bitrates within the DVD spec. I
think the PAL preset averages about 6Mbits per second from my
experience and produces very nice looking images.