[FFmpeg-user] DVB subtitles there but not viewable

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Sep 26 14:56:19 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 12:45:12 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Moritz Barsnick <barsnick <at> gmx.net> writes:
> > My PVR (or call it STB) likes neither AC-3 nor
> > dvb_subtitles when muxed by ffmpeg into an MPEG-TS
>
> That is because FFmpeg writes a (general) transport stream
> while your stb expects a dvb stream (different standards).
>
> There used to be a patch (I am not sure on which mailing
> list, could have been avconv-devel or ffmpeg-devel) but
> it was never applied iirc.

Thank you so much, Carl Eugen! Probably the most valuable hint I have
gotten in a long time.

The VU+ forums aren't of much help. Everybody seems to use "media
player" applications on the PVR anyway, but its MPEG-TS player is just
the best (except for subs supports). It also handles ffmpeg's MPEG-TS
just fine except for the named restrictions.

I'm off looking for this patch...

Thanks,
Moritz