[FFmpeg-user] HLS-Stream via ffmpeg/Mediaserver to TV

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 16:27:22 CEST 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 17:08:42 +0200, Thomas Schmiedl wrote:
> I try to receive this HLS-stream:
> http://62.113.210.250/medienasa-live/_definst_/mp4:tvhalle_high/playlist.m3u8
> on my router (Fritzbox 7312; MIPS-based) via a mediaserver (e.g.
> Mediatomb) and transfer the stream to my DLNA-TV (Panasonic).
>
> The TV doesn't play the .m3u8 directly ("file not readable"). My idea is
> to process the .m3u8 in ffmpeg (without transcoding), which sends the
> stream to a network socket, the mediaserver reads from this socket and
> transfers the stream to my TV.

Isn't mediatomb itself capable of sourcing from HLS URLs? I don't
remember. (I may be confusing it with Universal Media Server.)

What sort of socket are you thinking of? Is the mediaserver listening
on a socket of its own? Is it connecting to another server's socket?
What protocol does it expect? (Pure TCP/UDP, or HTTP? RTMP, RTSP?) What
container types will it accept?

Anyway: ffmpeg can host its own listening socket, e.g.:
$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc2 -c:v libx264 -f matroska -listen 1 tcp://localhost:1234
$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc2 -c:v libx264 -f matroska -listen 1 http://localhost:8899
ffmpeg can send to another host's socket, e.g.:
$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc2 -c:v libx264 -f mpegts udp://otherhost:2222

> Could someone help me to realize this? I'm not an expert in this issue.

You need to be more precise in terms of what your environment needs.
One of those three examples could work, but what do we know. ffmpeg
can't host DLNA by itself though AFAIK, but that's what you have
mediatomb for.

Moritz