[FFmpeg-user] Valid number of slices for libx264 and FFV1

Kal Sze swordangel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:49:04 CEST 2016

Hello,

What is the valid number of slices when encoding as libx264?

I can't find that documented anywhere. Does it depend on the H.264 profile used?

And what is the valid number of slices when encoding as FFV1 level 3?
The wiki says 4, 6, 9, 12, 16, 24, or 30; but I have not seen ffmpeg
complain if I try to specify something like 25 slices for a 512x424
video. Does ffmpeg just coerce the value to a valid one?

Best Regards,
Kal